Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Recipes for this week...

I'm new to this blog and shoot(a picture) concept, which wont be that long of a learning curve because I am a little obsessed with taking pictures. So I made a couple interesting dishes this week but didn't blog about it because I didn't take a picture...well that's not cool. So here are two interesting recipes that are quick and easy.

I make these really easy Mini Meat Loaves. I swear my husband partially fell in love with me because of these mini loaves (jk)! I like this better than the hunk o meat because its faster and more appetizing, just saying!  4-6 servings

1lb ground turkey (I rarely use beef)
1 egg
1 cup of Italian style bread crumbs
1/2 cup or more of ketchup
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp bbq sauce

The sauce and honey can be substituted by whatever is in your fridge at the time, I've used honey bbq sauce, soy sauce, steak sauce. The only difference is whether its on the sweeter or saltier side.  Mix all ingredients together, I use my hand, Ive found this is the easiest way to really combine the ingredients. Then, divide mixture into 6 separate mounds in the bowl and put into baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Oh and a little secret...I drizzle ketchup over the meat before I bake. Its one of my husbands faves!!!

Last night was breakfast for dinner. Not only do kids think this is so much fun, but its cheap and easy. I recently purchased Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld to get some great recipes for incorporating more fruits and veggies in our diet. Fruits are no problem in our house, but pretty typical vegetables are much harder. So this book is fantastic for incorporating your daily intake of fruits and veggies in your very normal meals. I've tried a couple recipes out of the book, but found the French Toast to be the best so far. This is not the exact recipe, but I got the basic idea from the book.

6 slices of whole wheat bread
2 eggs
4 egg whites( I buy it in the carton, so much easier than separating by hand)
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup banana pumpkin puree (this could be any puree, I happen to have a lot to choose from because of my adorable 8 month old)

Mix it all as you would with normal french toast, dip, soak, griddle it up! It came out super sweet and yummy. But the point was I got Brooklyn (my 2 year old) to eat pumpkin! AND my 8 month old loved it as well...we've entered the independent (I want to feed myself phase). I'm all about finding food he can eat that's not super messy, because plain banana is DEF not that, never again!

Hope you guys try these. IF you don't have purees in your house like me, you can seriously go to the baby aisle and buy some to incorporate in your food, its good for you! Next week I'll post pictures with the food.

No comments:

Post a Comment