Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My first book review since college!

The latest book I just finished, Tina Fey's "Bossy Pants".



Tina Fey, you know SNL, 30 Rock, Mean Girls, etc.

Some great quotables from the book:

"By the way, when Oprah Winfrey is suggesting you may have overextended yourself, you need to examine your fucking life."

"In September, my daughter was born. (For the record: epidural, vaginal delivery, did not poop on the table.)"

"I need to take my pants off as soon as I get home. I didn’t used to have to do that. But now I do."...talking about turning 40.

Review:

As a memoir I would have to say I was left wanting more. I think the overall message of the book was directed at people who aspire to be in the television/fame industry. Although there were moments of realness and funny lines, the book did not seem to be directed at a wide demographic. I do believe that if I was a SUPER Tina Fey fan this book would have been a funner read. I'm a fan, she's smart, talented, great business woman, BUT I'm not a SUPER fan.

A lot of ground was covered in this memoir, from childhood to present day. BUT it took a very long time for me to become invested in this book. I think out of 192 pages, it took me until page 90 to really want to keep reading. The chronology is in line, but the chapters jump around so much you never know what you are about to read, which definitely adds to the book on the plus side, keeps it spontaneously interesting.

Overall, if you want an easy read with some funny moments, or if you are an obsessed Tina Fey fan, I would recommend the book.
Next week review in the 'Memoir' category will be "Stories I Only Tell My Friends" by Rob Lowe.


Looking forward to the juicy Hollywood stuff and it has received great reviews.

1 comment:

  1. DANG IT! Well, I guess I'm going to have to stick with Water for Elephants since I made my hubby buy it for me for my birthday (in May) and haven't bothered reading it yet! (c:

    ReplyDelete